Sunday, September 16, 2007

Learning to Drive

When I was 14 I was working on the farm and drove the tractor all of the time. Sometimes on Sunday afternoon I would take the tractor over to my friends house about a mile and a half away and we would just sit around and shoot the breeze.

But there was another way that I got around. My sister Peggy was living at home and working in the Sylvania plant at Brookville. She bought a 1942 Ford Coupe to use to get to work. It had a high speed differential which meant that it didn't have much power but once you got moving it would run like a sacred rabbit. Since we lived on the back road and I knew every road in the township I would ask her to borrow it when I wanted to go to a 4-H club meeting at Shanondale or to visit another friend somewhere in our part of the world. Several tmes I took the back roads to Summerville on Sunday afternoon, or to Limestone to go swiming.

I took my drivers test the day after I was 16 and the cop said it seemed like I had been driving for a while. I said yes I learned to drive on the farm.

No comments: