Sunday, February 26, 2006

Air planes and power boat

Sometime in the summer when I was 5 or 6 years old dad and I went to the old Parker Cramer airport at Clarion to meet Bill Culbertson. Bill was the son of Oliver (Twisty) Culbertson who was a contractor in the gas fields in the county. Dad worked for Twisty, off and on, as a driller. Anyhow, Bill owned an airplane and Dad and I got to go for a ride. That was really a big deal for me. We flew down over the farm and back to the airport. At that time there weren’t many kids, or grownups for that matter, who got to fly in a plane.

Bill also owned a power boat that he kept on the Clarion River. It was a big wooden boat with an inboard engine. At that time there weren’t any outboard engines and power boating was for those who had money. One Sunday afternoon dad and I met Bill at the river and went for a ride. That was really “cool.

No comments: